Perfect, thick-cut bacon and a warm biscuit with butter and jam.
Thanks for all the birthday wishes, friends. You guys are the best.
Florida is lovely so far. We woke up at 4 a.m. yesterday to fly here. We got to our hotel (an adorable little studio I found on HomeAway), ate breakfast, took an epic nap, beached all day, then went out for birthday dinner.
I had gumbo, then seared scallops with rice, green beans and smoked tomato butter. It was SO GOOD. Chocolate chip cookies (of course) with salted chocolate, salted caramel and vanilla ice cream for dessert. And a bottle of champagne because birthday.
We’re on the Gulf Coast, and the beach is beautiful. White sand and warm water. It’s so strange to get in the ocean and not freeze.
Today we woke up, ran (WHAT? WHO ARE WE?) and had breakfast at the cutest restaurant. Now it’s beach time.
Can I vacation forever?
i wish i was in bed
It’s going to be a day. I’m hungover. It’s raining. It’s a perfect nap day. The silver lining: vacation starts tomorrow.
Last night we went out with Jess, Chris and her parents, who are the best and would not stop buying drinks/bottles of wine. We ate delicious tapas (grilled octopus, sausage and broccoli rabe, lamb kofta, bacon wrapped dates stuffed with goat cheese, bone marrow and a bunch of delicious things on bread), oysters and dessert empanadas. Well, I had a spicy chicken and snuck bites of Jess’ peanut butter and banana.
Now I’m eating a bacon, egg and cheese on a roll because that’s what you do when you’re hungover.
And I have to get a wax (whatever, we’re all adults) in less than an hour. I’m sorry for all the shit I’m putting you through, body.
Out to dinner. I’ve worn this dress once. How foolish of me.
And no, I’m not sure my hair could get any bigger.
Look at me, working out again. I’m not including warm-up stuff because that’s boring. Typing all this out made me realize why my legs were so tired for squats today. Whoops.
(This is a v boring post, and mostly because I like to have an easy way to search my workouts. Sorry guys.)
Friday, Sept. 12
Romanian deadlift 5-5-5-5-5
5x65, 5x85, 5x125x3
- 20 kettlebell rack lunges (35/26)
- 40 double unders (did 80 singles)
Finished 5 rounds, plus 10 lunges. Holy crap, the lunges were KILLER. My butt was beyond sore for three days.
Saturday, Sept. 13
8-minute EMOM at 75#:
- 2 clean pulls from the knee
- 2 high hang cleans
My focus here was sitting fast and not jumping. These felt good and I actually kept my feet on the ground. :)
With a partner, one person works at a time:
- 100 medicine ball cleans (20/14)
- 100 burpees to plate
- 100 KB swings (53/36)
- 100 KB push press (36/26 — I used 18s)
Finished in 19:58.
I did this with Scott, and it was fun in a gross kind of way. I did 55 of the burpees, and he did 55 of the push presses. TEAMWORK.
Sunday, Sept. 14
Strict press 3-3-3-3-3
35-45-55-60-70 (failed after 1)-65
Sometimes it’s just not your day. Oh well.
- 10-8-6-4-2 HSPU (scaled to push-ups off a box)
- row 200 meters between rounds
Finished in 6:46.
Cash out: 100 sit-ups for time. Got ‘em done in 2:40something. Fastest of the day. Holler.
Monday, Sept. 15
I didn’t have time to do the whole workout today, but I didn’t want to miss squats.
Back squats! 10 with the bar, 5 @ 50%, 3 @ 60%, 1 @ 70%, 20 @ 5 pounds heavier than last week
10x35, 5x75, 3x95, 1x110, 20x105
Eesh, 20 squats is no joke. My legs and butt were worn out, so this felt even harder than it should have. I really, really had to focus on keeping my knees out.
New dark hair that isn’t quite so dark in real life, white pants (with the coolest black stripe) and the ever-present pile of laundry.
Two more days of work and then sweet freedom!
Last weekend Scott and I sat down and made goals for the week. Here’s how I did:
- Cook for the week (no eating out): Nailed it! I did go out for lunch once but not really because I didn’t have food at home. I was just craving sushi.
- In bed by 10 every night: Whoops. This only happened twice. I had a busy, busy week and didn’t have a ton of time with Scott, so I wanted to stay up with him on the nights we were both home. Not heartbroken about this, but I want to do better once we come back from vacation.
- Make iced coffee for the week: Yep. Saved a bunch of money and always had good coffee. It’s funny how such a simple thing can make such a big difference.
- At least 3 workouts: I was conservative with this one because I still had a cold on Sunday and wasn’t quite sure how I’d feel. Five CrossFit classes + a run/walk.
- 30 minutes of activity every day: Close! 6 out of 7. I’ll take that.
- Spend 2 hours writing: I want to pick my freelancing/work outside by regular job up a bit, hence this goal. I didn’t do this during the week, so I’m going to spend a couple hours on it tonight.
Good week considering I was still a little under the weather and work has been much more stressful than usual.
Next week’s goals are much more relaxed because birthday week + vacation. Yay!