Wait, where did you go, September? Is this year flying by faster than ever or are they all this fast? I don’t know anymore.
- Work out at least 5 times a week: The first week of September didn’t go so well, but otherwise yes. It feels good to be back in a good groove. Scott is to thank, in part. It’s a lot easier dragging myself to CrossFit when he’s coming with.
- 100 ounces of water a day: I haven’t been tracking this, really, but I have made an effort to drink a lot more water and I feel really good for it.
- Read three books: Yep. Two Harry Potters and “Sharp Objects.” Holy crap, that book was crazy.
- Track macros/count calories: Ehh, only 10 days or so out of 30. But! I’ve been great about tracking this week. (I’m not going to be super hard on myself for this, especially since we were on vacation for about a week.)
- Walk/run an average of 10K steps a day each week: For the two weeks I was good about wearing my FitBit every day, yes. I got to a 10K step average. This is really one of those “be more mindful of X” goals.
- Run once a week: Yep! I even ran twice on vacation. Miracle of miracles.
- Spent 2 hours writing each week: Fail on this one. Work was extra stressful, and I guess that just drained most of my energy to do extra work outside my 9 to 5.
- Stick to my personal budget ($120/month): Yep! I actually did this one. Hallelujah.
heigh ho, heigh ho
- Hello regular work week, nice to meet you.
- I made myself frittata muffins. Every time I get it together and make breakfasts for the week, I kick myself for the weeks I don’ do it. So nice to wake up to food! I ate the eggs (with ground pork and broccoli) with a little bowl of oatmeal with blackberries and iced coffee.
- I’m not good at cooking beef. Part of this, I’m sure, is the fact that I always buy cheap cuts. I bought an eye of round roast yesterday and cooked it using this method, and it turned out SO good. I cut up two onions, tossed them with a little olive oil and seasoning and cooked them with the meat.
- My weight has been steady, which I’m hoping means the IIFYM calculator is pretty accurate for me. I’m eating around 2,000 calories a day. I haven’t been perfect on macros (35 percent fat, 35 percent carbs and 30 percent protein), but I’m going to really buckle down this week and see how my body responds.
- It’s really helping to think of this as an experiment and not a diet. (It helps that I’m eating more than enough food to be satisfied.) Playing the macro game is lot better for me, mentally, than just calories.
- Tonight’s squats are stressing me out. Last week was really, really a struggle, and I’m worried I won’t be strong enough. Scott, of course, said the thing I needed to hear. Basically, if I’m not strong enough, I’m not and I’ll work on getting stronger. It’s as simple as that.
- I’m bummed about how my knee felt during/after the race on Saturday. I wonder if it was the obstacles and running combined that irritated it. I’m actually feeling OK about running lately, and I wanted to get back into a bit. Hmm.
sorry so boring
- I ran the Civilian Military Combine race yesterday. It was 4.5(ish) miles and tons of obstacles. I climbed walls, jumped over barricades, crawled through mud and sand, shimmed across a wall over a mud pit and a bunch of other really hard shit. It was scary and tiring and fun.
- My knee was KILLING me after the race. The last half mile or so was pretty rough. It’s bothering me a little when I walk down stairs, but otherwise it’s fine. But still, ugh.
- Scott and I had a family meeting and set some good goals. I have high hopes for this week.
- I’ve got a (beef) roast in the oven and sweet potatoes and zucchini on the stove. Mmm.
- Scott did the laundry while I was at the race yesterday. Best ever.
- Weird weekends are over. I’m now on a Monday through Friday schedule, and I’m pretty excited about it.
- Tomorrow is 20RM squat day, and I don’t know if I’m ready. Stupid race.
- I cleaned out the freezer. Things I threw out include: an old candle (?), a really old whole chicken and icy tomato paste.
- Like I’ve read here quite a few times recently, I feel like I don’t have much to say these days.
gotta get down on friday
+ It’s Friday! And I don’t have to work tomorrow!
+/- I’m doing the Civilian Military Combine run tomorrow, and I’m pretty nervous. The course is only 4 miles and there are a ton of obstacles, so it’s not just straight running, but still. Let’s all hope I don’t die. We have a team of 40ish people from the gym going, though, so it should be a really fun day.
- It’s 9:30 and it’s already been quite a day for poor Scott. He was running late for work, realized he forgot his wallet (and had to come home for it), then lost his favorite tie.
+ Did I mention it’s Friday?
+ I’ve got a big mug of bulletproof coffee. Sweet nectar of life.
- Since we got back from vacation at about 1 a.m. on Sunday, Scott and I never had a chance to really prepare for the week. It’s really thrown us off. This weekend will be for running (and you know, jumping over stuff) and getting ready for the week.
+ We did a push press and push jerk complex the other day, and my jerk felt good for the first time. It’s usually so awkward for me. The difference (effortwise) between push pressing 85 pounds and push jerking it is crazy.
+ Food stuff has been pretty good this week. Low stress, tasty and easy.
- Once again I’ve spent too much of my personal budget on food this month. I see October goals forming. (HOW IS IT THE 26TH?)
in good news, it’s already thursday
- It’s been a long week already. Coming back from vacation is hard. I’m tired.
- It’s rainy and cold today, and I wore a big sweater and stretchy pants to work. Things could be worse.
- My skin is not cooperating.
- We’re on week 3 of 20 RM back squats. I did 110 this week, and it was rough. Partially because that’s heavy for me and partially because I did it at 8 a.m. and I never work out in the morning anymore. Squatting on legs that have been walking around all day is a lot different than squatting on legs that just woke up, apparently.
- I’m making an old favorite for dinner, and I’m really excited about it.
- Speaking of old favorites, I had this breakfast cookie dough cereal for breakfast yesterday, and I forgot how good it is. I mean, let’s not go crazy. It’s not cookie dough. But it’s tasty.
- I’m counting macros, and I’m making myself see it more as a game. Let’s see if I can hit the numbers! Anything other than “omg I hate counting” helps.
- I don’t really have much else to say. Womp womp.
- Our flight got in late (midnightish), and the line for a cab was probably 50 people deep. The silver lining: we got the best cab driver. Fast without making us puke or afraid for our lives.
- I’m wearing the world’s coziest sweater. I sent Scott the link forever ago and it was waiting at home for me when we got back. Sweet gift giver.
- I’ve done a fair bit of reading on IIFYM, and I decided to start out with a couple weeks at my ~maintenance~ calories. That way I can make sure the calculator is actually accurate before I go taking away or adding things.
- Thanks for all the birthday wishes, friends. We had such a fun trip. I realized how necessary it is to get away every now and again.
- I really, really need to grocery shop.
- I got 1 million extra freckles from four days on the beach.
- A few of our coaches are sick. If I come down with something again I will ragequit life.
- All things considered, I think Scott and I did a pretty great job of not eating like total assholes on our trip. We stuck to one dessert a day and ate pretty good-for-us stuff most of the time. Highlights include a peanut butter molten chocolate cake and salted caramel, salted chocolate and vanilla ice cream sandwiched between chocolate chip cookies. Oh god.
- We even worked out! Two runs and a CrossFitty kind of workout on the beach. 10-9-8 … 3-2-1 burpees, squats, sit-ups, push-ups and lunges. Quick, fun and very sandy.
- All right, time to conquer the rest of the day. 20 squats tonight. Blerg.